Base pay: £80k-90k
Principle level as per our Career Development Framework.
Commission: Fixed % of revenue generated - from 50% to double OTE (uncapped)
EMI Share Options: £10,000
We've calculated this compensation in line with our Benchmarking Philosophy.
Opportunity for an Enterprise Business Development Director to join a high-growth technology start-up focused on eliminating fuel poverty and improving living standards in social housing through data insights.
Role: Enterprise Business Development Director (Senior Individual Contributor)
Reporting to: Head of Business Development
Location: This is a field-based sales role, with a mix of remote working, customer travel, as well as limited company and head office gatherings.
At Switchee, we believe that everyone deserves to live in a decent home and that the environments we inhabit have a massive influence on our ability to enjoy life and prosper.
One in five households in the UK live in social housing, a sector with the right values at its core but that has historically struggled to deploy innovations in the home. Many residents still can’t afford to heat their homes, and live in cold, mouldy properties they can’t be proud of.
We believe that radical innovation in internet-connected technology can ensure that every resident, every day, is living in a home that allows them to succeed. That’s why our products are built not just on great technology, but on an understanding of what people want from the space they live in.
This approach led us to reimagine the most mundane household object: the thermostat, into a product that automatically reduces energy bills, looks great, and offers control to those who want it. We are also revolutionising the way social landlords manage their housing stock with an obsessively tailored SaaS property dashboard and handy alerts on things like when the boiler is going to break.
Our goal is to perfect the ultimate connected hub for the social home. It’s going to revolutionise the way residents interact with their homes and landlords manage their properties.
Due to the changing and increasingly complex needs of our clients the Switchee commercial team has created this new role of Enterprise Business Development Director. This is an enterprise new business sales role targeting the large to very large provider.
Switchee has had a lot of success in working with individual Housing Association departments to invest in and deploy the Switchee solution. However, we have found that the key to Enterprise scale customer relationships is working with and challenging the Executive and Senior leadership teams of the housing provider from the outset:
You will understand what brings them value and leverage that information to deliver an irresistible pitch — and to tactfully pressure them. “You teach them something valuable, tailor the sales pitch, and take control over the conversation."
The principal goal is to deliver long-term, multi-year, Enterprise scale deployments of the Switchee Analytics & Insights solution, across a defined and narrow set of target accounts, for delivery into the Account Management & Customer Success functions and will: achieve unit sales targets and data revenue targets.
generate profitable sales revenues.
At Switchee your growth and development will be the focal point for your quarterly performance and progression conversations with your manager. We will encourage you to reflect on our Career Development Framework to enable you to grow in line with your scope of role and responsibilities. Our CDF is divided into levels where a selection of expected behaviours describes your ability to move up on the career ladder for your role. We have had 20% promotions in the last 12 months, and our manager:employee ratio is 1:3
Key activities to be undertaken by the successful candidate:
To define your Route To Number within the overall Switchee Go To Market Strategy.
- To help refine and iterate the GTM strategy ahead of market movements and customer demands.
- To proactively look for business development opportunities by all means at your disposal and in line with your RTN.
- To generate commercial interest in the Switchee solution through promotion at exhibitions, trade shows, social media, online webinars, video calls etc.
- To promote Switchee and the brand through all external communications.
- To be the first port of call for incoming sales enquiries within your remit.
- To update and track sales opportunities through our CRM system (Hubspot).
- To liaise with Switchee internal departments to maximise sales opportunities e.g. Marketing, Customer Success, Operations.
- To forecast accurately and consistently.
- To report sales leads/wins/losses/pipeline.
- To perform against individual & department KPIs / OKRs as defined.
- To participate in team working to benefit the wider company goals, outside of the immediate job description.
We are a company built on a strong technical foundation, however, we deliver ‘business’ value. You’ll need to be able to grasp and communicate the business value of a technology-driven, verticalised solution with clients. We also expect you to work closely with Product Development and Customer Success to ensure our product evolves with the customer’s needs at the very centre.
We firmly believe extraordinary people can come from a wide range of places – but we wouldn’t be surprised if the person who gets this role has:
- Ideally sold complex, multi-stakeholder sales to large corporate or bluechip Enterprises
- Ideally used to delivering transformational, business problem led value based solutions.
- Comfortable engaging with CEO, Executive Suite and Operational Board Dir across departments.
- Equally as capable of engaging other key customer stakeholders of all levels in concurrent and progressive activities.
- Proven ability to develop and implement effective sales strategies.
- Strong analytical & numeracy skills with a complete command of Microsoft Office and online presentation platforms.
- Research skills to identify key relevant insights that will challenge & add value to your prospect(s).
- Used to developing and executing Strategic Accounts and mutually agreed close plans
Nice to have:
Experience working with Internet of Things devices would be great.
- Experience selling to Social Housing Providers (Housing Associations and Local Authorities).
- Experience with working with Housing CEO’s to develop and implement their transformational strategies
Who You Are
We are a diverse bunch of people at Switchee. That said, there are some characteristics we always look for:
- The desire to build something revolutionary.
- Care about the environment and are interested in energy efficiency.
- Interested in technology and neat solutions to complex problems.
- Biassed toward action.
- You're open, positive, and straightforward.
- We are not able to nurture success for those who don’t thrive on challenge and change.
- We are not a team for people who believe in negative chatter and gossip.
Unlimited holiday policy + Bank Holidays so you can take as much as you want! No need to count those Winter break days anymore!
- Everyone at Switchee enjoys flexible working hours and is the master of their own routine.
- We have a remote-first Hybrid Working Model, with offices near London Bridge.
- We will provide you with all the necessary equipment to work from home in a safe and enjoyable manner.
- We socialise together with regular outings in London, Quarterly Company Off-sites and an annual “working remotely” trip where you have the option (but no obligation) to join us in working from a fun location.
- We are hosting regular Virtual Socials and keep finding creative ways of staying connected with each other.
- We provide an L&D budget and access to our Switchee Library, where you can request new books monthly.
- We provide access to ThanksBen - a platform with plentiful discounts and free virtual well-being sessions.
- We offer Spill, a Mental Health app at your fingertips, where you can get in touch with a therapist in record time.
P.S Switchee is a Disability Confident Employer and we aim to provide reasonable adjustments for our new hires to ensure they are successful and supported in their roles. We also practice an anti-bias approach to recruitment. Read more about it here.
Application Process:1. Phone Screen - with Keziah (Talent Coordinator)
2. Technical Interview - with Nick (Head of Commercial) & member of the Commercial team
3. Task & Role play - with Nick and other members of the commercial team
3. Culture Fit interview - with Olya (Head of People) & another SLT member
To prepare for the interview stages, review all the available information about Switchee online, and our careers website and most importantly, prepare real-life examples of having dealt with the responsibilities listed in the job description.
Our average time to hire is 24 days, this is from the moment we receive your CV to the offer letter sent.